DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
Friday, April 10. Monica will be doing two schools visits: one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Please select morning or afternoon slot.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Monica Hesse is the national bestselling author of the true crime love story American Fire and the Edgar Award-winning young adult historical mystery novel Girl in the Blue Coat, which has been translated into a dozen languages and was shortlisted for the American Booksellers Association's Indies Choice Award. She is a feature writer for the Washington Post, where she has covered royal weddings, dog shows, political campaigns, Academy Awards ceremonies, White House state dinners, and some events that felt like a mixture of all of the above. She has talked about these stories, and other things, on NBC, MSNBC, CNN, CSPAN, FOX and NPR, and she has been a winner of the Society for Feature Journalism's Narrative Storytelling award, and a finalist for a Livingston Award and a James Beard Award. Monica lives in Maryland with her husband and a brainiac dog.
* From Normal, Illinois.
* Has heard all potential jokes about hailing from Normal, Illinois.
* Favorite books: "A Handmaid's Tale," "Ender's Game," "Moby Dick."
* Favorite places: grocery stores, libraries, country festivals, Istanbul.
* Good harmonizer.
* Loves movies about sports, math, cooking (lukewarm on actual sports, math, cooking).
ABOUT THE BOOK: They Went Left
A tour de force historical mystery from Monica Hesse, the bestselling and award-winning author of Girl in the Blue Coat. Germany, 1945. The soldiers who liberated the Gross-Rosen concentration camp said the war was over, but nothing feels over to eighteen-year-old Zofia Lederman. Her body has barely begun to heal; her mind feels broken. And her life is completely shattered: Three years ago, she and her younger brother, Abek, were the only members of their family to be sent to the right, away from the gas chambers of Auschwitz-Birkenau. Everyone else--her parents, her grandmother, radiant Aunt Maja--they went left. Zofia's last words to her brother were a promise: Abek to Zofia, A to Z. When I find you again, we will fill our alphabet. Now her journey to fulfill that vow takes her through Poland and Germany, and into a displaced persons camp where everyone she meets is trying to piece together a future from a painful past: Miriam, desperately searching for the twin she was separated from after they survived medical experimentation. Breine, a former heiress, who now longs only for a simple wedding with her new fiancé. And Josef, who guards his past behind a wall of secrets, and is beautiful and strange and magnetic all at once. But the deeper Zofia digs, the more impossible her search seems. How can she find one boy in a sea of the missing? In the rubble of a broken continent, Zofia must delve into a mystery whose answers could break her--or help her rebuild her world.
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
1 hour including audience Q&A. Topic: They Went Left and the traumatic aftermath of WWII for survivors.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
High School; grades 8-12
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
TBD. And a bottle of water.
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees.
FOR STUDENTS/TEACHERS/FAMILIES/ETC. WHO WISH TO BUY BOOKS AND PAY FOR THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD
Link to share with students and their families to buy the author's books and pay with a credit card:
- FYI: There are instructions in the link above for the purchaser, which includes the fact that the purchaser must print the confirmation email out and show it to you.
- DO NOT give a book to someone unless they show you their printed online confirmation OR you verify the order has been placed by checking the Online Ordering spreadsheet we’ll be sharing with you. (If the order doesn’t appear, email us the name of the student and parent's name and we can keep watch for an order from them and alert you.)
- Tattered Cover keeps track of all online orders.
- DEADLINE: Online orders with SCHOOL PICK UP will only be available for one week after the school visit. Orders placed after that time will need to be picked up at one of our locations, or shipped.