Kate T. Parker
DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 (Kate will visit two schools; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.)
Kate T. Parker
WHY HOST KATE?
It's Kate's goal to inspire girls to be their best selves - to challenge and test their limits, to nurture their curiosity and intellect, to find strength in being creative and kind, in bold displays of anger and joy, and in quiet determination.
ABOUT THE BOOK: Strong is the New Pretty
Confident, wild, joyful, fearless, resilient, creative, strong. Girls are all of these things and more. A powerful photographic celebration of the tenacious spirit of girls from across the county, Strong is the New Pretty by professional photographer Kate T. Parker shows us that all girls – not just the athletic ones – are unstoppable. A mother of two loud, messy, freckled, and amazing daughters, Parker began taking pictures of them in everyday life – biking, playing soccer, discovering tide pools – and quickly came to realize the images that most resonated were ones where they were being their true, authentic selves. This morphed into a photography series “Strong is the New Pretty,” which went viral in 2015 and has lead to collaborations with brands such as Kellogg’s, Athleta, Oxygen, and Girls on the Run. And now it is being transformed into striking, inspiring book of the same name, that primarily features never-before-seen photos taken around the county. Filled with more than 150 color and black and white photographs of bookish girls, girls jumping in mud and leaves, girls comforting their best friend, athletic girls, and artistic girls, Strong is the New Pretty reminds us that beauty is not about being a certain size or having your hair done a certain way or wearing a certain dress. It is about being yourself. It is Parker’s goal to inspire girls and women to be their best selves - to challenge and test their limits, to nurture their curiosity and intellect, to find strength in being creative and kind, in bold displays of anger and joy, and in quiet determination. Because as Grace, age 13, says: “Being a girl has no limits.”
Praise for Kate T. Parker
- “’Strong is the New Pretty’ feels so intensely powerful: It's authentic.” – TODAY
- “The powerful ‘Strong Is The New Pretty’ photo series challenges traditional notions of what makes little girls awesome, depicting young girls who are empowered not by their looks, but by living their fullest, most fearless lives.” – Bustle.com
- “The message behind this photo series is simple and powerful: You are worthy of celebration exactly how you are” – SELF
- “You won’t see any dolls or pink tutus in this heartwarming, energetic series that beautifully showcases what it means to be a girl now.” – The Huffington Post
- “Fearlessness. That’s what is captured in the photos Kate Parker takes…” – Buzzfeed
- “A powerful photo series smashes through those age-old expectations by depicting little girls as they truly are: Brave, joyful, defiant, curious. And even a little bit messy.” – BabyCenter.com
- “A photographer and mother-of-two has turned a collection of candid images of her energetic daughters and their friends into a powerful photography series that celebrates their strength and confidence, while highlighting what it means to be a girl today.” – Daily Mail UK
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kate T. Parker is a mother, wife, former collegiate soccer player, Ironman, and professional photographer who shoots both fine art projects and commercial work for clients across North America. Her Strong is the New Pretty photo series has led to collaborations with brands like Athleta, Kellogg’s, Oxygen, and Girls on the Run. The project has also inspired Kate to launch a philanthropic arm of Strong Is the New Pretty, partnering with organizations that invest in girls’ health and education. She lives with her family in Atlanta, Georgia. Visit Kate at www.katetparkerphotography.com.
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
30-45 minutes. Kate will go through how she started work as a photographer and then delve into how moved she was by the stories of girl’s across country as she began to gather images for the book. She’ll choose a few portraits of the book and tell the individuals stories and talk about how she learned about different kinds of strengths, for example that the cellist showed her a kind of quiet strength she as an athlete hadn't experienced herself. Then she’ll touch on how she finds the strength and beauty in everyone she photographs and how she believes if we listen closely to each other we can all find that in each other, and in ourselves. She’ll then take questions and sign books.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
Middle school preferred (grades 6-8), but open to other age ranges if you have a really great school that is eager to have her.
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
100+ ideal – the more the merrier.
Projector, projector screen and microphone. Kate will bring her own laptop and connector dongle. And a bottle of water.
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees.
ONLINE ORDERING LINK
Link to share with students and their families to order Kate's book: www.tatteredcover.com/book-list-kate-parker Please be sure to ask them to include the name of your school in the Notes section of the order, and if they'd like to pick the book up at school, too.