DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Justin Matott has been a storyteller all of his life. Matott's mother (a college English Professor) would ask him to tell stories and jokes to her gatherings of friends, colleagues and clubs and put him on the stage as a very young boy. After graduating from college he ventured into the world of Corporate Management, Sales and Marketing for a Telecommunications giant, but while working many hours he still found the time to write. Constantly inspired by those around him to "do something with his gift" of storytelling, Matott began to write with the intention to publish. He was picked up by Random House and Matott left the Corporate world to see if he could live the dream of being an author/speaker as his vocation. That was over twenty years and thirty some published books ago.
ABOUT THE BOOK: When I Was a Boy . . . I Dreamed
Opening in a tree house that is every child's dream, this wonderfully and fancifully illustrated picture book story follows the memory of a grandfather type fellow as he shares his past dreams, uncovering the commonality of a young boys' dreams and pursuits, blurring the line between fantasy and reality. He is seen digging a hole to China, exploring jungles, battling underwater monsters, traveling back in time to the old west, building the ultimate tree house, finding the end of the rainbow, battling a dragon to save a maiden, the world's bravest firefighter, a one man band, the score winning Superbowl Champion, owning an outrageously wonderful ice cream shop (where any flavor that comes to mind can be conjured), and other far-flung hijinx. As the dream-telling draws to a close, the reader sees the man surrounded by mementos of all his adventures inside the coveted treehouse, bringing to question whether or not those dreams came true, but leaving no doubt that the man still dreams as he leaps out his window with a jet pack to fin
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
- Assemblies for grades 1-3 are typically forty-five minutes
- Assemblies for grades 4-8 are one hour.
- Creative Writing Workshops are one hour.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
Elementary Schools; Grade K-6
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
A minimum of 50 students.
Microphone. For workshops, a large writing space. And, a bottle of water.
HASHTAGS AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees.
FOR STUDENTS/TEACHERS/FAMILIES/ETC. WHO WISH TO BUY BOOKS AND PAY FOR THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD:
Link to share with students and their families to buy the author's books and pay with a credit card:
- FYI: There are instructions in the link above for the purchaser, which includes the fact that the purchaser must print the confirmation email out and show it to you.
- DO NOT give a book to someone unless they show you their printed online confirmation OR you verify the order has been placed by checking the Online Ordering spreadsheet we’ll be sharing with you. (If the order doesn’t appear, email us the name of the student and parent's name and we can keep watch for an order from them and alert you.)
- Tattered Cover keeps track of all online orders.
- DEADLINE: Online orders with SCHOOL PICK UP will only be available for one week after the school visit. Orders placed after that time will need to be picked up at one of our locations, or shipped.