DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
Friday, April 3. Jamie will be doing one afternoon visit only. But wil be back next November! Let us know if you'd like to be added to a list to contact in the Fall.)
- Roll with It has received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, and Booklist and was also a 2019 Junior Library Guild Selection.
- A great read that celebrates differently-abled characters and budding kid chefs!
- “A big-hearted story that’s as sweet as it is awesome.” —R.J. Palacio, author of Wonder
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jamie Sumner is the author of the middle-grade novel, Roll with It, and her second middle-grade novel, Tune It Out, will hit shelves October of 2020. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and other publications. She loves stories that celebrate the grit and beauty in all kids. She and her family live in Nashville, Tennessee.
ABOUT THE BOOK: Roll with It
In the tradition of Wonder and Out of My Mind, this big-hearted middle grade debut tells the story of an irrepressible girl with cerebral palsy whose life takes an unexpected turn when she moves to a new town. Ellie’s a girl who tells it like it is. That surprises some people, who see a kid in a wheelchair and think she’s going to be all sunshine and cuddles. The thing is, Ellie has big dreams: She might be eating Stouffer’s for dinner, but one day she’s going to be a professional baker. If she’s not writing fan letters to her favorite celebrity chefs, she’s practicing recipes on her well-meaning, if overworked, mother. But when Ellie and her mom move so they can help take care of her ailing grandpa, Ellie has to start all over again in a new town at a new school. Except she’s not just the new kid—she’s the new kid in the wheelchair who lives in the trailer park on the wrong side of town. It all feels like one challenge too many, until Ellie starts to make her first-ever friends. Now she just has to convince her mom that this town might just be the best thing that ever happened to them!
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
30 minute presentation followed by a 15-20 minute Q&A. Topic TBD.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
Elementary & Middle School; grades 2-7
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
Input/audio connection to run one minute book trailer on Jamie’s MacBook pro (or school’s computer). There must be SOUND and IMAGE. Internet is not required; dongle/cord to connect Jamie’s MacBook Air if not using school’s computer; projection screen to show PowerPoint presentation. Microphone if large audience.. And a bottle of water.
PROMOTING & PREPARING FOR THE EVENT
Promoting and preparing for the author's school visit is the most important ingredients for a successful, educational, and fun event. Please be sure to carefuly read: What an Author Visit is All About.
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees.
FOR STUDENTS/TEACHERS/FAMILIES/ETC. WHO WISH TO BUY BOOKS AND PAY FOR THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD
Link to share with students and their families to buy the author's books and pay with a credit card:
- FYI: There are instructions in the link above for the purchaser, which includes the fact that the purchaser must print the confirmation email out and show it to you.
- DO NOT give a book to someone unless they show you their printed online confirmation OR you verify the order has been placed by checking the Online Ordering spreadsheet we’ll be sharing with you. (If the order doesn’t appear, email us the name of the student and parent's name and we can keep watch for an order from them and alert you.)
- Tattered Cover keeps track of all online orders.
- DEADLINE: Online orders with SCHOOL PICK UP will only be available for one week after the school visit. Orders placed after that time will need to be picked up at one of our locations, or shipped.