DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
Flexible dates. Please provide possible dates and select a morning or afternoon slot.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Heidi Olinger is a writer, journalist, and award-winning educator who creates STEAM service learning to inspire and prepare girls to innovate, problem-solve, and lead in the 21st century. What is STEAM? Science, tech, engineering, art + design, and math. Her latest book, Leonardo’s Science Workshop: Invent, Create, and Make STEAM Projects Like a Genius, is an interactive adventure that embraces the spirit of Leonardo da Vinci to bring science, art, and creativity to life. Written with an inimitable combination of clarity and belief in the genius of every young reader, Leonardo’s Science Workshop models the curiosity and problem-solving that made Leonardo a genius and Heidi a voice for STEAM that is accessible, alive, and respects young people where they are. The New York Journal of Books says Leonardo’s Science Workshop “would make an excellent resource for teachers looking for multidisciplinary lesson plans with an emphasis on the pure sciences and technology.” Heidi is a frequent speaker on girls excelling in service learning and building a STEAM mindset. Her TEDTalk delves into girls overcoming stereotypes and discovering the value of science and math and she delivers keynotes and workshops on what works in learning for students underrepresented in K-12 and higher education.
Leonardo’s Science Workshop leads children on an interactive adventure through key science concepts by following the multidisciplinary approach of the Renaissance period polymath Leonardo da Vinci: experimenting, creating projects, and exploring how art intersects with science and nature. Photos of Leonardo’s own notebooks, paintings, and drawings provide visual inspiration. More than 500 years ago, Leonardo knew that the fields of science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) are all connected. The insatiably curious Leonardo examined not just the outer appearance of his art subjects, but the science that explained them. He began his studies as a painter, but his curiosity, diligence, and genius made him also a master sculptor, architect, designer, scientist, engineer, and inventor. The Leonardo’s Workshop series shares this spirit of multidisciplinary inquiry with children through accessible, engaging explanations and hands-on learning. This fascinating book harnesses children’s innate curiosity to explore some of Leonardo’s favorite subjects, including flight, motion, technology design, perspective, and astronomy. After each topic is explained with concepts from physics, chemistry, math, and engineering, kids can experience the principles first-hand with step-by-step STEAM projects. They will explore:
- The physics of flight by observing birds and experimenting with paper airplane designs
- The science of motion by building a windup dragonfly
- Gravitational acceleration with water balloons
- The movement of electrons by making cereal “dance”
- Technology design by making paper and fabric using recycled material
- Scientific perspective by drawing a 3D illusion
- Insight from other great thinkers—such as Galileo Galilei, James Clerk Maxwell, and Sir Isaac Newton—are woven into the lessons throughout.
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
45 - 50 minutes; Heidi could center her presentations around two different options:
- STEAM author Heidi Olinger reveals to young people the secret to becoming a creative genius, just like Leonardo da Vinci.
- A hands-on art and science activity and motivational talk with author Heidi Olinger in which young people make their own science notebook.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
Upper Elementary & Middle School; grades 5-8
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
Large easel at front of room to hold oversize block of art paper. And a bottle of water.
PROMOTING & PREPARING FOR THE EVENT
Promoting and preparing for the author's school visit is the most important ingredients for a successful, educational, and fun event. Please be sure to carefully read: What an Author Visit is All About.
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees.
FOR STUDENTS/TEACHERS/FAMILIES/ETC. WHO WISH TO BUY BOOKS AND PAY FOR THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD
Link to share with students and their families to buy the author's books and pay with a credit card:
- FYI: There are instructions in the link above for the purchaser, which includes the fact that the purchaser must print the confirmation email out and show it to you.
- DO NOT give a book to someone unless they show you their printed online confirmation OR you verify the order has been placed by checking the Online Ordering spreadsheet we’ll be sharing with you. (If the order doesn’t appear, email us the name of the student and parent's name and we can keep watch for an order from them and alert you.)
- Tattered Cover keeps track of all online orders.
- DEADLINE: Online orders with SCHOOL PICK UP will only be available for one week after the school visit. Orders placed after that time will need to be picked up at one of our locations, or shipped.