Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What does Pending mean?
- Pending means we have received your order. We are looking into the quickest way to fulfill your order: from our shelves, from our distributor, or a combination of the two.
What is the average time to fulfill an order?
- Whenever possible SHIPPING ORDERS are fulfilled direct from a national network of Distribution Warehouses. Orders fulfilled in this way generally ship around 24 hours after the order is placed. This method can dramatically reduce fulfillment times, especially to our many out-of-state customers.
- Direct fulfillment from the warehouse is only possible when an order is paid for by credit card and no other stipulations are attached (such as gift wrap or personal messages). In addition ALL items in the orders must be available from a single warehouse.
- All OTHER orders are processed daily at our Colfax store. If we do not have a book in stock at our store, we will order the title from our distributor. It generally takes about four to seven days for the book to arrive to our store.
- Items on backorder may take substantially longer to arrive. We will let you know if any of the titles on your order are backordered.
What does 2-8 day Media Mail shipping mean?
- The Post Office estimates 2-8 (business) day shipping for Media Mail. This is merely an estimate, and please keep in mind the Post Office is experiencing delays. After your order has been shipped, we will email you a tracking number for the package so you can stay up-to-date on its status.
Your website said the book is in stock at your store. Why isn't my order ready?
- For in-store pick up orders, we pull books off our shelves when we can. However, our default is to order your book from our distributor, due to reasons of inventory control. This process generally takes about four to seven days. For shipping orders, we typically order the books in from our distributor or send the order off for direct fulfillment. We thank you for your patience as we work to ensure your order is filled as quickly as possible.
I never received an email telling me the status of my order.
- An automatic confirmation email will be sent to you after you place your order. If you did not receive a confirmation email, please email our Webstore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does backordered mean?
- If the distributor has put an item on backorder, that means they are waiting for the publisher to print more copies of the book. As such, it may take a bit longer to get to us. Sometimes, the distributor puts an estimated date on their website, but unfortunately, that's not always guaranteed. Sometimes the publisher decides not to print more copies, making the book out of print and unavailable for us to order. If that happens, we will contact you to let you know your book is out of print and unable to be ordered.
How will I know when my order is ready for pick-up?
- Keep an eye on your email. Customers are notified via email when a book(s) arrive for the order. It will also state whether it is a partial or complete order. Make sure to check your spam or junk folder for any emails regarding your order.
I canceled my order and don't see a refund on my credit card.
- We AUTHORIZE your credit card when your order is received but we do not CHARGE your card until the order is processed. Many credit card companies show a "pending" charge on your card for this authorization. If an order is canceled before the card is charged, the authorization will be immediately voided. No refund is necessary. It may take a day or two for the "pending" charge to dissapear from your statement. Similarly, it may take a day or two for a refund to show up on your card statement.
I only received one book. Why was I charged for the whole order?
- If you placed an order online, we capture the money for the whole order at once, when the first part of your order is processed.
Are you accepting used books right now?
- We are! Information can be found on the 'Used Books at the Tattered Cover' page on our website. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
Are you selling magazines?
- We are! We now carry a selection of magazines at each of our stores.
Can I purchase used or bargain books on your website?
- At this time, used books and bargain books can only be purchased in store.
My question isn't on this page. Who can I contact?
- Click Here for our Contact Us page