Thank you for your interest in the Tattered Cover as a possible place of employment. Because any employment decision is a very important one, we'd like to give you some basic information about working here that might influence your decision even before you take the time to fill out our application.
We need employees who are able to work evenings and weekends on a regular, not rotating, basis. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, discounts on merchandise, a bus pass, and a 401(k) plan.
The work is customer-oriented, very detailed, and sometimes physically demanding. Most of us spend long hours on our feet. Dust and printer's ink are part of our daily environment, and applicants must have an adaptable nature because job descriptions here are often loose.
Working in retail and on-site can be challenging in these unprecedented times of COVID and the national health crisis. In compliance with local laws, we require both staff and customers to wear masks that cover their nose and mouth while present in the stores. We also require more cleaning and attention to personal hygiene than ever before. We expect all team members to be kind to themselves, colleagues, and customers. It is our priority to do our part and to keep our community clean and safe.
Due to the health crisis, our hiring procedures have changed. We conduct all interviews over Zoom, rather than in person. If you are interested in following up on the status of your application, please email Sarah.Heath@TatteredCover.com. We retain all applications for two (2) years, but it is a good idea to send an email every three (3) months if you are still available for employment at Tattered Cover. If the details of your application have changed, please feel free to email Sarah.Heath@TatteredCover.com to update your information.
Purpose: To support staff and management with bookselling during the holiday season (November 20th to either December 24th or December 31st).
Dutites and Responsibilities During a Shift of Up to 8 Hours:
- Assisting customers
- Answering phone calls
- Shelving and straightening books
- General section maintenance and cleaning
- Ability to understand and use Tattered Cover computer system to locate and order books for customers
- Ability to key in quickly and accurately on a computer keyboard
- Abilities to write legibly and fill out forms completely and accurately
- Abilitiy to communicate with coworkers and customers using the phone and in person
- Must be able to maintain a pleasant and professionsal manner during continuous customer interaction
- Ability to work within a team framework, establishing productive working relationships with supervisors and other staff members
- Abilitiy to stand, walk, crouch down, and move items under 50 lbs continuously over the course of a shift
- Full availability during the holiday season is preferred, this includes nights and weekends
- Staff are required to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth and may need to occasionally encourage customers to maintain wearing their mask while in the store
- Experience in bookselling, holiday retail environment, using iMerchant is preferred
Temporary Work Specifics:
Start Date: 11/20/20
End Date: 12/24/20 - 12/31/20
Schedule: This is a temporary position either full-time or part-time with shifts during nights and weekends
Rate of Pay: $12.85/hour
Note: While we are closed on November 26th and December 25th, we ask for full availability; any needs for scheduled time off outside of an emergency will be the responsibility of the employee
To Apply: Please use the Job Application link on the website and specify "Temporary" in the "Are You Applying For: section. If you have already applied and are interested in temporary work, please email Sarah.Heath@tatteredcover.com to update your application/availability.
It is the policy of Tattered Cover to give equal opportunity to all qualified persons. All employment decisions are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications, and all employees and applicants are treated equally in these and all other respects without regard to race, religion, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status (including, subject to special circumstances, marriage to a coworker), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.