Sparrow Envy (Kobo eBook)
- Nonfiction about cross-cultural experience in nature (like Braiding Sweetgrass, Ecology of a Cracker Childhood) has powerful sales appeal. As do “field guides” that provide more than just raw data. We view this as a kind of lyric field guide. In the vein of the Wildsam guides.
- Will be a beautiful hardcover, suitable for gift-giving.
- Author's viewpoint, as an ornithologist, a hunter, a professor, and a black man from the South is incredibly unique
- This is a mix of poetry and prose
- Author's writing has been featured in the New York Times, Orion, Audobon, and many other outlets. '9 Rules for the Black Birdwatcher' is Orion Magazine's most widely shared article
- The author is invited to numerous regional and national birding conferences every year
- The birding market is massive, including an estimated ten million self-proclaimed 'birders' that spend an estimated average of some 10 billion annually on their pursuit of birds
- Will include blurbs from Aimee Nezhukumatathil and Camille Dungy. Helen McDonald is an avid fan and supporter of Drew's work.
- Grapples with how a black man with binoculars might be percieved. How he might be seen as "trespassing" in places he doesn't belong