A Game of Extremes: 25 Exceptional Basketball Stories: About What Happens On and Off the Court (Paperback)
Did you know that basketball was invented as a way to keep boys entertained indoors during the harsh Northeastern winters?
Are you aware that the college basketball coach with the most wins is a woman who got her start playing basketball in her family's barn?
Do you know why Stevie Wonder gave Darryl Dawkins the nickname Chocolate Thunder?
If you already know all of these stories, you may very well be a basketball wizard.
There are 2.2 billion basketball fans in the world. That's over a quarter of the entire population of the world
There are so many fans because basketball is more than just a game. For many, it is a way to root for their favorite players-to live vicariously through these players who can fly through the air. And for others, basketball is the way to a better life.
These 25 accounts share stories of courage, perseverance, and amazing feats all related to one of America's favorite pastimes.
Courage to change not only the landscape of the game but also of a country divided.
Perseverance of players and teams who overcame great odds to become some of the greatest players in the world.
Amazing feats of men who are almost superhuman in their basketball playing abilities.
And these are just a few of the attributes covered in this charming collection of stories.
In this book, you will discover:
- The man who created basketball and how his original thirteen rules changed and evolved over the years
- What a "cager" is and how they stopped brawls from happening between both players and fans
- The player who convinced sports announcers to say he was from Planet Lovetron when introducing him at the beginning of games
- How one man went from being known as one of the angriest men in the NBA to being a champion for mental health
- A fan who was able to successfully sneak into the pregame warm-ups at an NBA game to become everyone's hero
- The story of the best team you have never heard of and why it is vital everyone knows who they were
- How one man who single-handedly changed the landscape of basketball in Canada
- The story of the team that was funded by the Grateful Dead and even wore tie-dyed warmups
- The legendary player who played an NBA Finals game with the flu...and won
And so much more
Whether you're a basketball fanatic or just enjoy stories of people who made a difference in the world, this book will not disappoint.
From high school students to NBA All-Stars, there are stories about well-known legends to underdogs who became legends.
Discover what made each one of these men and women remarkable. Discover why they deserve to be remembered as one of the 25 greatest basketball stories of all time.If you want to laugh, tear up, and experience the entire gamut of emotions as you read stories about your favorite sport, scroll up and hit "Add to Cart" now.