Kangaroo Care: The Best You Can Do to Help Your Preterm Infant (Paperback)
GIVE YOUR PRETERM BABY THE BEST POSSIBLE START IN LIFE If you have just given birth to a preterm infant, you and your baby both face special challenges. Parents long to help their baby but often feel isolated and frightened by hospital procedures. Now there is wonderful news for both babies and parents. Kangaroo Care, a technique pioneered in leading neonatal centers worldwide, gives you a unique role: a special way of holding your infant that provides crucial health benefits--including shorter hospital stays. Based on ground-breaking research, Kangaroo Care is a step-by-step guide to bringing these benefits to your baby--even if your neonatal unit does not yet have a Kangaroo Care program. It explains: - Why Kangaroo Care enhances your baby's development
- How to use the technique even if your infant requires a ventilator or an incubator
- How to understand your baby's signals of distress or comfort--and how to respond
- How you can work with the national staff to provide the best for your baby between your visits
- How to involve fathers as well as mothers
- All the proven results of Kangaroo Care--including a more relaxed, healthier, and contented baby THE COMPLETE PARENTS' GUIDE TO THE REVOLUTIONARY NEW TREATMENT FOR PRETERM BABIES.
About the Author
Dr. Susan Ludington-Hoe received her PhD from Texas Women's University, majoring in maternal-child health and minoring in child development. She is also a certified nurse midwife. Since 1976, Dr. Ludington-Hoe has published numerous scholarly articles documenting her research studies in the field of infant development, infant stimulation, and Kangaroo Care. She is also the coauthor with Susan K. Golant of the popular book How to Have a Smarter Baby.