Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare, Signet Classic) (Mass Market)
The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare's timeless story of star-crossed lovers.
One of the Bard's most popular plays, Romeo and Juliet is both the quintessential account of young love and the cautionary tale of the tragedy that can occur when the foces of passion and pride are at odds,
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, J. A. Bryant, Jr.
• The source from which Shakespeare derived Romeo and Juliet, Arthur Brooke's The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet
• Dramatic criticism from Samuel Johnson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Michael Goldman, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...
About the Author
William Shakespeare (1564–1616) was a poet, playwright, and actor who is widely regarded as one of the most influential writers in the history of the English language. Often referred to as the Bard of Avon, Shakespeare's vast body of work includes comedic, tragic, and historical plays; poems; and 154 sonnets. His dramatic works have been translated into every major language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.