Tattered Cover Book Fairs
Tattered Cover Book Store is excited to bring a book fair to your school! Please read all of the information below about hosting a book fair through Tattered Cover. If you'd like to schedule a book fair, please email Holly Maxwell with the following information:
- Name of school:
- Your position at the school:
- Date(s) you'd like to host a book fair:
- I've received any permission I might need from the school to move forward with this: Yes? No?
- I've checked that school is in session these dates and that there is no testing or other conflicts: Yes? No?
- I've read all of the information about Tattered Cover Book Fairs in the page below: Yes? No?
- I've read and agree to all the terms in the Book Fair contract (coming soon!): Yes? No?
Why partner with Tattered Cover on a Book Fair?
- Tattered Cover will organize everything
- We will provide quality literature for every age
- We will make your book fair as small or large as you would like
- We can provide the specific titles you request
- Complimentary delivery, set-up, and tear-down
- Free classroom book talks by a children's book expert!
- Personalized service and recommendations
- Hassel free returns
- Support a local business
- We offer free author visits during book fairs!
Let’s Talk About the Money
Depending on you school's sales, Tattered Cover will donate 10-20% of the total sales back to the school! Here is a breakdown of the donation scale:
<$5,000 = 10%
<$10,000 = 15%
>$10,000 = 20%
Frequently Asked Questions
What dates are available for book fairs and how long do they last?
We can make just about any set of dates work for you! Book Fairs can last from 1 day to an entire week. You will have the ability to choose what suits your school best. Please keep in mind that we need about a month to create the book list, order all of the titles, and have everything ready to go.
Who is responsible for running the book fair?
Your school is responsible for running the book fair! We suggest using parent volunteers to help out.
What does the set-up and take-down process entail?
Tattered Cover will deliver your books, bags, and bookmarks and will set up the fair in an eye-catching way! After the book fair, Tattered Cover will come collect all of the books and supplies that we left with you.
How does a Tattered Cover Book Fair compare to the Scholastic Book Fair?
Tattered Cover Book Fairs will look very similar to Scholastic’s, but we will be able to offer you books published by all publishing companies (not just Scholastic!) We also strive to provide quality literature for your students—not just posters and games. Unlike Scholastic, we will cater the book list to your needs and provide exciting marketing, including book talks and author presentations. We will work with you every step of the way to meet your needs and to get your students excited about reading.
What ages will be represented at the book fair?
We can cater the book list to represent any grade levels. You can take an active part in creating the book list, and we can add your school’s favorite titles and themes. We also have ready-made book lists if you would like a more general selection.
What tools are used to sell the books to students?
Tattered Cover will provide an electronic list of titles that is compatible with devices such as iPad and Square. Tattered Cover will leave you with and teach you how to use Square to use as a point of sale system.
Will books in Spanish be available?
Tattered Cover is able to provide a wide selection of both Spanish and bilingual books. You can discuss this preference at your initial organizational meeting.
What is the general cost of the books?
Most books at the fair will be paperbacks that cost between $3.99 and $9.99. We are able to provide a selections of hardcover books that cost a bit more but will work with your school to decide which titles are right for you.
Students love the gadgets, toys, posters, etc. at book fairs. What non-book material comes with Tattered Cover book fairs?
Although the book fair will primarily include literature, we are also able to provide items such as journals, activity books, games, and educational toys. We can work with your school to decide how many of these items you wish to sell.
Do you have a day that the book fair is not open, but students can still walk through so that they can have an idea of what they want?
We can certainly offer a day for students to browse the book fair and create Wish Lists.
Will my school make any money?
Yes! Your school will receive a generous cut of the proceeds that is competitive with what Scholastic has to offer. Plus we can schedule an author visit during the book fair at no charge to your school.
Any school that hosts a book fair through Tattered Cover must agree to the following:
- The school must host one evening event for families during the book fair (parent-teacher conferences, choir concert, sports game, band performance, literacy night, play/musical, etc.)
- The school will collect all money from the book fair and will give it to Tattered Cover after the event
- The school will provide volunteers to be at the book fair during it's opening hours as well as to ring up all sales
- Any volunteers will be trained by the school on how to use Square (Tattered Cover will teach any staff members)
- All books will be kept in a locked room when the school is not open (i.e. the library, a classroom)
- The school is responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen books
- The school will walk through the book fair before opening and after closing to count inventory with a Tattered Cover staff member
- Other requirements may be added before your book fair. Please check back!