Visiting Author for Schools: Eric Litwin
DATE OF SCHOOL VISIT
Monday, September 18 (Eric will be visiting two schools: one in the morning and one in the afternoon.)
Please note: The publisher is requiring a minimum number of book sales. Please see below in RED for details.
DATE OF STORE EVENT
Monday, September 18 at 7pm at Tattered Cover Colfax. Free and open to the public. Please promote to teachers, students and their families!
ABOUT Eric Liltwin
ERIC LITWIN is a song singing, guitar strumming, # 1 New York Times Bestselling author who brings early literacy and music together. He is the original author of the Pete the Cat series as well as the author of The Nuts and Groovy Joe. Eric's books have sold over 8.5 million copies, been translated into 14 languages, and won 18 literacy awards including a Theodor Geisel Seuss Honor Award. Visit Eric online at www.ericlitwin.com.
WHY HOST ERIC?
Eric and is a true performer who gets everyone dancing and singing and has extensive experience (and success!) performing at schools, large venues, and festivals. He also has experience as an educator and a music teacher.
Groovy Joe is totally fun.
He's a tail-wagging, song singing party of one
And he rocks like this:
Disco party bow wow
#1 New York Times bestsellers Eric Litwin (Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes) and Tom Lichtenheld (Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site) are back in another groovy story that will have little ones singing, dancing, and learning math to a whole new beat. In his second book, Groovy Joe has a dance party. But Oh no More and more doggies are knocking on his door, asking to come in. Will there be enough room for everyone? Joe knows just what to do and, soon enough, he everyone moving and grooving -- the party has only just begun Signature rhyme, repetition, and musical writing style, combined with wild and witty illustrations infused and gentle math concepts come together to create an unforgettable new Groovy Joe story all about positivity, creativity, math, and kindness. Groovy Joe is back, ready to get groovy!
MINIMUM REQUIREMENT OF BOOK SALES
The publisher requires the school to purchase 100 copies of Chris' books. Please make sure you can accommodate this in the event that the students order less than 100 books.
- Please try and leave ten feet of space between the author and the audience.
- Two handheld microphones and with micorphone stands.
- Two chairs "on stage": One for himself and one for kids he invites up to stage. He would also like a tall stool up there, too, if possible.
- One extension cord for a personal speaker he brings.
- If possible, please display all of Eric's books on a table near the author during the presentaton. He likes to refer to several of them throughout performance.
- Eric will sign all books new or old, as long as he is the author.
- Please have 1 Sharpie for every 100 books to be signed. This will keep the quality of signing as high for the last book signed as it was for the first book!
- To make the best use of time, Eric asks that he be allowed to sign all books first, and then take pictures with anyone who wishes afterwards (time permitting). If there are fewer than 200 people in line, please provide sticky notes to parents to write the child's name so that Eric is sure to have correct spelling. If there are more than 200 people in line, there will be no personalization. This is to ensure that time will permit to get all books signed.
What Eric will bring:
Speaker (for Eric's guitar)
LENGTH & TOPIC OF PRESENTATION
This is a non-traditional presentation! This won’t be a static reading and booksigning — Eric will be playing instruments, singing, dancing, and getting the whole audience involved.
SCHOOL TYPE & GRADES
Elementary school, grades K-2
DESIRED # OF STUDENTS
NOTE: Eric will not be able to perform if the school cannot fulfill the A/V requests.
- A teacher or other staff person who knows how to work the A/V equipment and is available to help with set-up at least half an hour before the start time
- 2 handheld mics
- 2 mic stands
- Sound system/speakers that are loud enough to be heard clearly
- Extension cord
- XLR input for hand held microphone
- And, a bottle of water.
- Eric will sign all books, but will ONLY personalize his two Groovy Joe books.
- Please provide post-it notes and neatly print out the names for personalization.
- Eric pre-signs or post-signs all books at schools. He doesn’t sign in front of the children/audience.
- Photos are permitted, and welcome! No flash, please!
- Video is NOT permitted.
PROMOTING & PREPARING FOR THE EVENT
Promoting and preparing for the author's school visit is the most important ingredients for a successful, educational, and fun event. Please be sure to carefuly read: What an Author Visit is All About.
Tattered Cover will design an order form that the school should distribute in advance of the author visit, and again on the day of the event to all student attendees. Books will be available for sale at the school about a week before the event and about a week after the event. An online ordering option is available (see below).
ONLINE ORDERING LINK
Link to share with students and their families to order Eric's books: www.tatteredcover.com/book-list-eric-litwin Please make sure anyone ordering online includes the name of your school in the Notes section of the order and if they'd like to pick up the book from you at the school. Please DO NOT give a book to someone who says they ordered online until I can verify it. If they do ask you for one, just email me the name of the student and parent's name and I can check.