Quick links to what's on this page: Teen Newsletter -- Teen Advisory Board -- Colorado Teen Book Con -- Teen Writing Group -- Teen Open Mic Night -- Author Visits in Schools -- Upcoming Events for Teens -- Teen Book Reviews
Don't miss a thing... Sign up now! (Select YA/Teen Readers) Why did we create a Teen Newsletter? Because Tattered Cover loves teen readers, readers of teen fiction, and because we have so many amazing things going that we just need to share. Read past issues: March 2016 (our first issue!), April 2016 issue, May 2016, June 2016, July 2016, August 2016, September 2016, October 2016, November 2016, December 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017.
This is a group of book-loving teens who meet every month or so to plan and produce programming for anyone excited about YA literature. Board members have the opportunity to use their creativity, social media skills, and enthusiasm for books to help with all aspects of event promotion, planning, and execution; introduce (and hang out with) authors at events; write book blurbs; give book talks; get FREE advanced reading copies; and even help select authors who come to the store for events or visit schools. It's fun, rewarding, and a great resumé builder. We currently meet at our Aspen Grove location; but are aiming to have groups meet at our Colfax and LoDo locations, too. This is open to teens 13+ who are in at least 8th grade. Please read our TAB Information & Application PDF. For more information or to sign up for the TAB, email Kristen Gilligan. (And tell your bookish friends!)
- Tuesday, May 9: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting with special guest author Todd Fahnestock (The Wishing World); 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove What is the TAB? APPLY NOW! ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Wednesday, May 10: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax What is the TAB? APPLY NOW!
- Tuesday, June 20: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove What is the TAB? APPLY NOW!
- Wednesday, June 21: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax What is the TAB? APPLY NOW! ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Tuesday, July 11: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove What is the TAB? APPLY NOW! ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Wednesday, July 12: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax What is the TAB? APPLY NOW!
- Tuesday, August 8: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove What is the TAB? APPLY NOW!
- Wednesday, August 9: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax What is the TAB? APPLY NOW! ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
Tattered Cover presented the inaugural Colorado Teen Book Con! Saturday, October 15, 2016 at Littleton High School in Littleton, CO. It was a full day event with two keynote presentations, a bunch of author panels, and a big author signing party at the end of the day. And food trucks. Of course, food trucks. Books were for sale throughout the day. Check out some feedback and photos on our Colorado Teen Book Con webpage. Dates announced! Saturday, November 4, 2017 at Littleton High School in Littleton, CO
Teens come together to share and critique writing, often with a nationally published young adult author as a mentor and participant. An incredible opportunity for aspiring teen writers! Free and open exclusively to teens.
Tattered Cover Aspen Grove: This group meets that last Sunday of each month. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, April 30: Teen Writing Group with special guest YA author Scott Bergstrom; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, May 28: Teen Writing Group with special guest YA author Emily Hainsworth (Take the Fall); 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, June 25: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
Tattered Cover Colfax: We meet in the Orchestra Pit of the Colfax store. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Please email Kristen to RSVP.
- Thursday, April 27: Teen Writing Group with special guest author and co-owner of Tattered Cover Len Vlahos; 7pm at Tattered Cover Colfax. Email Kristen to RSVP.
We're giving YOU the mic.
Support your friends as they get their creative on.
Do something unique and fun: sing, play an instrument, recite poetry, read an original work of fiction, do stand-up comedy, or anything else that you have a burning desire to share with the world.
Plus, we have a café serving hot and cold beverages, and snacks! We'll be announcing the next date soon. Watch for it!
I mean, who doesn't love a school assembly? Seriously though, Tattered Cover can bring an author into your school to speak to smaller groups of English or writing classes, or a full school-wide assembly. The best part is that's there no cost to the school -- and there's even a fundraising component where your school can earn some money back! If this sounds interesting, just connect us with your school librarian or principal. (Send an email to Kristen Gilligan with your school librarian and/or principal's contact info.)
- Tuesday, May 8: Connor Franta with Note to Self; 6pm at Spruce Mountain Ranch in Denver To buy a ticket, please visit www.notetoselftour.com.
An interactive three room pop-up exhibition inspired by Note to Self. Designed by YouTube superstar Connor Franta, and developed by Adventures in Wonderland, guests will experience Connor’s exciting new book, Note to Self, brought to life during his Note to Self Tour: A Sensory Installation of Visuals and Voice. The sensory installation provides a walk through a three room pop-up art exhibition, composed of images and elements captivating the senses and allowing guests to explore the moments you can only see and read about in Note to Self. In addition, ticket holders will hear directly from Connor during an hour of live entertainment and interactive dialogue. For those who purchase a VIP package, the night will be capped off with an invite to meet Connor and get a professional photo with him. All tickets includes a signed copy of Note to Self.
Connor Franta is an entrepreneur and bestselling author. With an audience of more than 20M followers, he’s grown from a YouTube personality to a global entrepreneur.
- Friday, June 9: Sandhya Menon with When Dimple Met Rishi; 7pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- ABOUT When Dimple Met Rishi: The YA rom-com everyone's talking about As seen in Teen Vogue, Bustle, and BookRiot--with a starred review from Kirkus Reviews--When Dimple Met Rishi follows two Indian-American teens whose parents conspire to arrange their marriage.
- ABOUT SANDHYA MENON: Sandhya / sun-dhya / sun-dee-ya for non-Hindi speakers noun. [Hindi = dusk, twilight]; novelist of Indian origin, currently living in the United States. Sandhya writes books for teens. She currently lives in Colorado, where she's on a mission to (gently) coerce my husband, son, and daughter to watch all 3,221 Bollywood movies she claim as her favorite.
- Saturday, July 22: Donna Cooner with Worthy; 7pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- ABOUT Worthy: Download the app. Be the judge. Everyone at Linden's high school is obsessed with Worthy. It's this new app that posts pictures of couples, and asks: Is the girl worthy of the guy? Suddenly, relationships implode as the votes climb and the comments get real ugly real fast. At first, Linden is focused on other things. Like cute Alex Rivera. Prom committee. Her writing. But soon she's intrigued by Worthy. Who's posting the pictures? Who's voting? And what will happen when the spotlight turns... on Linden?
- ABOUT DONNA COONER: Donna Cooner is the acclaimed author of Skinny and Can't Look Away. A Texas native and graduate of Texas A&M University, Donna currently lives in Fort Collins, Colorado with her husband, a cat named Stu, and two chocolate Labradors, Roxanne and Murphy.
- Saturday, November 4: 2nd Annual Colorado Teen Book Con; Littleton High School in Littleton, CO details TBD
Have you ever walked through a bookstore and seen little cards sticking out of shelves under books with book reviews? Have those reviews ever made you want to buy a book?
Those cards are called shelf talkers, and we're looking for teens to write shelf talkers for their favorite books. Your friends and family -- and a lot of fellow readers looking for the perfect book -- can see your reviews on the shelves at Tattered Cover. How cool is that?
To write a review: Books can be old or new — they just need to be young adult. Reviews should be between 40-60 words. Write 1-2 sentences on what the book is about, then another 1-2 sentences on why you loved it/why you think others will love it. Please only write reviews for books you loved and are passionate about. Please send your review in an email to Kristen Gilligan with "Teen Book Review" in the subject line.