Quick links to what's on this page: Teen Newsletter -- Teen Advisory Board -- Colorado Teen Book Con -- Teen Writing Group -- Teen Open Mic Night -- Author Visits in Schools -- Upcoming Events for Teens -- Teen Book Reviews
Don't miss a thing... Sign up now! (Select Events & Reviews for Teens and YA Fans) Why did we create a Teen Newsletter? Because Tattered Cover loves teen readers, readers of teen fiction, and because we have so many amazing things going that we just need to share. Read past issues: March 2016 (our first issue!), April 2016 issue, May 2016, June 2016, July 2016, August 2016, September 2016, October 2016, November 2016, December 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, May 2017, June 2017, July 2017, August 2017.
This is a group of book-loving teens who meet every month or so to plan and produce programming for anyone excited about YA literature. Board members have the opportunity to use their creativity, social media skills, and enthusiasm for books to help with all aspects of event promotion, planning, and execution; introduce (and hang out with) authors at events; write book blurbs; give book talks; get FREE advanced reading copies; and even help select authors who come to the store for events or visit schools. It's fun, rewarding, and a great resumé builder. We currently meet at our Aspen Grove location; but are aiming to have groups meet at our Colfax and LoDo locations, too. This is open to teens 13+ who are in at least 8th grade. Please read our TAB Information & Application PDF. For more information or to sign up for the TAB, email Kristen Gilligan. (And tell your bookish friends!)
ASPEN GROVE Meetings:
- Tuesday, August 22: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- Tuesday, September 12: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Tuesday, October 17: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- Tuesday, November 7: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Tuesday, December 12 : Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove AND HOLIDAY PARTY!
- Wednesday, August 23: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Wednesday, September 20: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax
- Wednesday, October 18: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm
- Wednesday, November 8: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax
- Wednesday, December 13: Teen Advisory Board (TAB) meeting; 7pm - 8:30pm at Tattered Cover Colfax ***TAB Book Club Meeting from 6pm - 7pm AND HOLIDAY PARTY!
Tattered Cover presented the inaugural Colorado Teen Book Con! Saturday, October 15, 2016 at Littleton High School in Littleton, CO. It was a full day event with two keynote presentations, a bunch of author panels, and a big author signing party at the end of the day. And food trucks. Of course, food trucks. Books were for sale throughout the day. Check out some feedback and photos on our Colorado Teen Book Con webpage. Dates announced! Saturday, November 4, 2017 at Littleton High School in Littleton, CO
Teens come together to share and critique writing, often with a nationally published young adult author as a mentor and participant. An incredible opportunity for aspiring teen writers! Free and open exclusively to teens.
Tattered Cover Aspen Grove: This group meets that last Sunday of each month. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, August 27: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, September 24: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, October 29: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, November 26: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, December 31: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
Tattered Cover Colfax: We meet in the Orchestra Pit of the Colfax store. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Please email Kristen to RSVP.
- This group will meet again sometime in September. Please watch this space for dates!!
- Thursday, August 24: Ned Wolf with Nandia's Apparition; 7pm at Tattered Cover LoDo
- Friday, August 25: Richard Johnson with The Princess and the Rogue: The Spell of the Sorceress; 7pm at Tattered Cover Colfax
- ABOUTThe Princess and the Rogue: The Spell of the Sorceress: An exciting tale of an unlikely friendship between the royal princess to the Chinese empire and a penniless street thief. Together, they set out to solve the mystery of an ancient myth and find the magical Tears of Hathor. The Tears are the only thing that can lift the fearsome curse that plagues the Chinese people and their Emperor. Through a series of daring and action-filled adventures, the princess and the rogue must rely on their new friends to help them battle evil forces that seek to eliminate them. This two-book series is sure to keep you turning the pages for more.
- ABOUT Richard Johnson: Richard J. Johnson is an award-winning non-fiction writer as well as a novelist. He has lived the adventures and studied the stories, myths and folklore he brings to life in The Princess and the Rogue book series. He made his career as a medical doctor at the University of Colorado Health and is known for his groundbreaking research on the effects of sugar on the human body. Richard J. Johnson is a fabulous story-teller having travelled the world over seeking adventure and knowledge which created a great love and passion for his craft as a novelist.
- Wednesday, September 13: Sarah J. Maas with A Court of Wings and Ruin; Lone Tree Arts Center; Doors at 6 pm, event at 6:30. GET TICKETS HERE!
- ABOUT A Court of Wings and Ruin: Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well. As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places. In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
- ABOUT SARAH J. MAAS: The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series: Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, Queen of Shadows, Empire of Storms - and the series' prequel, The Assassin's Blade; as well as the Throne of Glass Coloring Book, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and A Court of Mist and Fury. A New York native, Sarah currently lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and dog. www.worldofsarahjmaas.com, Facebook: /throneofglass, Instagram: therealsjmaas, Twitter: @SJMaas
- Saturday, September 23: Kyle T. Cowan with Sunshine is Forever; 2pm at Tattered Cover LoDo
- ABOUT KYLE T. COWAN: Kyle T. Cowan is an actor whose first big-screen appearance was in Odd Thomas. Most recently, he appeared in Better Call Saul, Preacher, War on Everyone, and MANH(A)TTAN. He is also recognized for writing, directing, producing, editing, and starring in the indie feature film, Camouflage. Cowan holds a fine arts degree in writing and directing from the University of Colorado Denver. He now resides in Los Angeles, California, and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sunshine is Forever is his first published novel.
- ABOUT SUNSHINE IS FOREVER: After a life-changing event, Hunter decides that he can't go on??which lands him in Camp Sunshine, a rehab center for depressed teens. Hunter is determined to keep everyone there out of his head, especially his therapist. But when he meets Corin, a beautiful, mysterious, and confident fellow camper, all Hunter wants to do is open up to her?despite the fact that he's been warned Corin is bad news. When Corin devises a plan for them to break out of the camp, Hunter is faced with the ultimate choice?will he run from the traumatic incident he's tried so hard to escape, or will he learn that his mistakes have landed him right where he's meant to be?
- Saturday, November 4: 2nd Annual Colorado Teen Book Con; Littleton High School in Littleton, CO For more information, click here!
We're giving YOU the mic.
Support your friends as they get their creative on.
Do something unique and fun: sing, play an instrument, recite poetry, read an original work of fiction, do stand-up comedy, or anything else that you have a burning desire to share with the world.
Plus, we have a café serving hot and cold beverages, and snacks! We'll be announcing the next date soon. Watch for it!
I mean, who doesn't love a school assembly? Seriously though, Tattered Cover can bring an author into your school to speak to smaller groups of English or writing classes, or a full school-wide assembly. The best part is that's there no cost to the school -- and there's even a fundraising component where your school can earn some money back! If this sounds interesting, just connect us with your school librarian or principal. (Send an email to Kristen Gilligan with your school librarian and/or principal's contact info.)
Have you ever walked through a bookstore and seen little cards sticking out of shelves under books with book reviews? Have those reviews ever made you want to buy a book?
Those cards are called shelf talkers, and we're looking for teens to write shelf talkers for their favorite books. Your friends and family -- and a lot of fellow readers looking for the perfect book -- can see your reviews on the shelves at Tattered Cover. How cool is that?
To write a review: Books can be old or new — they just need to be young adult. Reviews should be between 40-60 words. Write 1-2 sentences on what the book is about, then another 1-2 sentences on why you loved it/why you think others will love it. If it works, please also say something like, "If you liked xxx book, you'll love this one." or "If you love xxx author, you'll love this one." Please only write reviews for books you loved and are passionate about. Please send your review in an email to Kristen Gilligan with "Teen Book Review" in the subject line.