The Relationship Skills Workbook: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to a Thriving Relationship (Paperback)
What are the ingredients of a successful and enduring relationship? Love, passion, and commitment are all vital--yet without certain basic skills, even the most devoted partners can find themselves descending into arguments, power struggles, and disillusionment. With The Relationship Skills Workbook, Dr. Julia Colwell presents a practical guide for building a conscious partnership based on cooperation and trust--offering relationship-saving techniques and on-the-spot conflict resolution tools for disarming the explosive clashes that most commonly break couples apart.
In this friendly and easy-to-use resource, Dr. Colwell teaches you essential tools for:
- Crisis and conflict first aid--communication strategies and emotional mastery techniques to stop arguing and start connecting
- Getting unstuck from power struggles--how to shift from deadlock to mutual responsibility and support
- Ending the blame game--letting go of accusation and resentment to create win-win agreements
- Supporting each other's growth and success--how to retain your personal autonomy while fully committing to your partner's happiness
- Moving from reactivity to creative solutions--techniques to keep your brain's flight-or-fight instinct from undermining your heart's desires
- Sustaining love, passion, and romance--how you can choose to create a magnificent relationship together
"Relationships, while seemingly complicated, don't have to be so mysterious," Dr. Colwell says. "What I've learned from my decades of personal and professional experiences is that a few elegantly simple concepts and skills can help any couple through the most difficult spots--and help us transform conflict into intimacy, passion, and ever-deepening love."
About the Author
Julia B. ColwellJulia B. Colwell, PhD, has spent over three decades and many thousands of hours with individuals, couples, and groups, exploring the world of relationships. Julie received her training as a clinical psychologist at the University of Colorado. Moving out of the world of traditional talk therapy into a body-centered focus, she's fine-tuned a style that is at once direct, respectful, gentle, confrontational, and loving, co-creating personal and relationship transformation.Julie has a private practice in Boulder, Colorado, where she facilitates the transformation of individuals, couples, groups, and organizations. She is the inspiration behind and the co-founder of the Boulder Center for Conscious Community, where she teaches a range of classes, groups, and workshops, and leads the Intensive Learning Community and the Life Alignment Program.Julia is happy to celebrate her recent marriage to her partner, Kathryn Kucsan, after being with her for 26 years. Their main vision of their relationship is to do whatever supports each of them to be happy--and they have kitchen-tested everything Julie teaches in their time together. For more, visit JuliaColwell.com.