The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life (Paperback)
A growing body of scientific research indicates that mindfulness can reduce stress and improve mental and physical health. Countless people who have tried it say it's improved their quality of life. Simply put, mindfulness is the practice of paying steady and full attention, without judgment or criticism, to our moment-to-moment experience. Here is a collection of the best writing on what mindfulness is, why we should practice it, and how to apply it in daily life, from leading figures in the field.
• Leading thinking Jon Kabat-Zinn on the essence of mindfulness, stress reduction, and positive change
• Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh on the transformative power of mindful breathing
• Professor of psychiatry Daniel Siegel, MD, on how mindfulness benefits the brain
• Physician and meditation teacher Jan Chozen Bays, MD, on how and why to practice mindful eating
• Pioneering psychologist Ellen Langer on how mindfulness can change the understanding and treatment of disease
• Leadership coach Michael Carroll on practicing mindfulness at work
• Psychologist Daniel Goleman on a mindful approach to shopping and consuming
• Pianist Madeline Bruser on how mindfulness can help us overcome performance anxiety
• and much more
The Mindfulness Revolution also includes an in-depth discussion by writer-editor Barry Boyce about how mindfulness is being applied in a variety of professional fields—from health care to education, from performing arts to business—to improve effectiveness and enhance well-being.
Learn more at <a target="_blank" href="http://mindful.org/">www.mindful.org</a>.
About the Author
For over two decades, James Gimian has been actively involved in helping organizations and individuals apply the principles of The Art of War in a wide range of contexts including corporations, leadership programs, and one-on-one consulting. Director of the Denma Translation Group, which produced a critically acclaimed and best-selling translation of the Sun Tzu text, Gimian works as a business consultant and as the publisher of the Shambhala Sun magazine. A resident of Nova Scotia, Canada, he teaches seminars on The Art of War around the United States.
Barry Boyce is a member of the Denma Translation Group and has taught seminars on The Art of War throughout North America and in Europe. Senior editor and staff writer for the Shambhala Sun and Buddhadharma magazines, he is also a freelance writer and a writing teacher.
“The contributors bring their considerable knowledge and skills to bear on the task of helping others. These clearly written essays taken together form a solid introduction to a now mainstream approach to personal change.”—Publishers Weekly
“One of the wonderful aspects of The Mindfulness Revolution is that the essays address opportunities for mindfulness in everyday actions, such as shopping and online activities.”—The New York Journal of Books (online)
“As the practice of Buddhist mindfulness gains more and more mainstream attention, the need for a book like this has also grown.”—New Age Retailer