The Secret Traditions of the Shinobi: Hattori Hanzo's Shinobi Hiden and Other Ninja Scrolls (Paperback)
Shipped to Tattered Cover in 3 to 7 days
The shinobi, or ninja, is one of the most widely recognized figures in the world of espionage—and also one of the most misrepresented. What do we really know about the historical shinobi, his tactics, and his role in medieval Japanese society? In Secret Traditions of the Shinobi, these questions—and many more—are answered. Translated into English for the very first time, this widely sought-after collection of historical documents brings to light the secret practices, techniques, philosophies, and lifestyles of the shinobi.
• the Shinobi Hiden, or "Secret Ninja Tradition," a documentation of techniques commonly attributed to one of the best-known ninja masters, Hattori Hanzo;
• the Koka Ryu Ninjutsu Densho, a small but important work from the Edo period that reveals the realm of ninja magic and spells;
• the three shinobi scrolls of the Gunpo Jiyoshu, a manual enthusiastically promoted by Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first Tokugawa shogun of Japan;
• one hundred poems written between the twelfth and fifteenth centuries—making them the oldest collection of written ninjutsu information in the world; and
• seventy historical black-and-white illustrations depicting ninja tools and weapons.
Secret Traditions of the Shinobi will enthrall martial artists eager to learn the real skills of the shinobi, as well as anyone interested in this exciting period of Japanese history and espionage.
About the Author
ANTONY JOHN CUMMINS holds an undergraduate degree in Ancient History & Archaeology and a master’s degree in Neolithic Archaeology. In addition to working as a ninjutsu consultant for documentarians and authors, he has copresented television programs dedicated to the ninja. He lives in Manchester, England.
YOSHIE MINAMI earned a bachelor’s degree in Linguistics from the International Christian University and has worked as a consultant for television documentaries about the ninja. As a translator, she has published True English (2009) and The True Path of the Ninja (2011). She lives in Saitama, Japan.