Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons (Paperback)
In Boys Should Be Boys, one of our most trusted authorities helps parents restore the delights of boyhood and enable today's boys to become the mature, confident, and thoughtful men of tomorrow. Boys will always be boys-rambunctious, adventurous, and curious, climbing trees, building forts, playing tackle football, and pushing their growing bodies to the limit as part of the rite of passage into manhood. But today our sons face an increasingly hostile world that doesn't value the high-spirited, magical nature of boys. In a collective call to let our boys be boys, Dr. Meg Meeker explores the secrets to boyhood, including
- why rules and boundaries are crucial-and why boys feel lost without them
- how the outdoors is still the best playground, offering the sense of adventure that only Mother Nature can provide
- the essential ways to preserve a boy's innocence (and help him grow up)
- the pitfalls moms and dads face when talking to their sons
- why moody and rebellious boys are not normal-and how to address such behavior
- how and when the "big" questions in life should be discussed: why he is here, what his purpose is, and why he is important
Parents are blessed with intuition and heart, but raising sons is a daunting responsibility. This uplifting guide makes the job a little easier.
About the Author
MEG MEEKER, M.D., has spent more than twenty years practicing pediatric and adolescent medicine. The author of "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters, " she is a popular speaker on teen issues and is frequently heard on nationally syndicated radio and television programs. She lives in northern Michigan with her husband and four children.
“If you want to raise a boy you’ll be proud of, read Boys Should Be Boys.”—Dave Ramsey
“Filled with inspirational vignettes, Boys Should Be Boys empowers parents to stay involved and protect their sons’ innocence. It’s a wonderfully written and eye-opening book–a must-read.”—Neil Bernstein, Ph.D., author of There When He Needs You