The New Sugar Busters!(r): Revised and Updated Edition (Hardcover)
When SUGAR BUSTERS hit the shelves almost five years ago, it quickly became a diet and lifestyle phenomenon, soaring to the number one spot on the New York Times bestseller list and embraced by millions of people across the country. Those satisfied individuals on the SUGAR BUSTERS plan discovered that by simply choosing the correct carbohydrates and lowering their sugar intake, they could shed the pounds they failed to lose with other diets. Now the weight-loss program that swept the nation has been completely revised and updated-incorporating all the newest nutritional findings, health statistics, and scientific studies, including the latest on glycemic levels. Based on sound dietary principles, SUGAR BUSTERS remains a highly effective program that shows you how to reduce the sugar in your life (without feeling deprived) through easy-to-follow recipes and meal plans. In this new edition, you will discover - A discussion on prevention, still the best medicine
- Amazing testimonials from men and women who are still losing weight and feeling fit the SUGAR BUSTERS way
- Frequently asked questions-direct from the SUGAR BUSTERS Web site- along with helpful answers
- A special section on childhood obesity-how to measure it and what to do about it
- Hard facts on soft drinks
- The latest on diabetes-and how SUGAR BUSTERS can help prevent it
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) chart and Calculation Formula to determine if you are obese or merely overweight
- An expanded discussion of our ancestor's diet, which was whole-grain, high-fiber, and low-glycemic-just like SUGAR BUSTERS
- Essential facts on women, weight loss, and nutrition
- New tips, updated charts, new recipes, and practical exercise suggestions
- Handy information on how SUGAR BUSTERS compares with other diet plans, from Atkins to Ornish So arm yourself with the facts and get the figure you've always wanted. When it comes to optimal wellness on the SUGAR BUSTERS program, it's survival of the fittest-a way of life in which everybody wins.
About the Author
H. Leighton Steward has a master of science degree from Southern Methodist University and became CEO of a Fortune 500 energy company. He also authored a booklet on causes of land loss of the lower Mississippi River wetland system. One hundred thousand of these booklets are in circulation worldwide and are referred to by many educational and governmental institutions. He is on the board of Tulane University and is chairman of the board of trustees at the Institute for the Study of Earth and Man (anthropology, geology, and statistics). His own success with this way of eating and a family history of diabetes motivated him to write SUGAR BUSTERS! ]. Morrison C. Bethea, M.D., is a graduate of Davidson College and Tulane University School of Medicine. He completed his postgraduate training in thoracic and cardiac surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. Currently he practices thoracic, cardiac, and vascular surgery in New Orleans. He is the medical consultant to Freeport-McMoRan, Inc., and sits on the board of McMoRan Exploration Co. and Tenet's Memorial Medical Center of New Orleans. Dr. Bethea is a diplomate of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, a clinical professor of surgery at Tulane Medical Center, and an author of many publications in the field of cardiovascular disease. Samuel S. Andrews, M.D., is a graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine. He is a recognized expert in the treatment of obesity, and practices endocrinology with the Audubon Internal Medicine Group. Dr. Andrews has authored several scientific publications and is currently conducting nutritional low-glycemic carbohydrate research studies in both adults and children. He is a fellow in the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology. He is a clinical associate professor of medicine at the Louisiana State University Medical School in New Orleans and a member of the Louisiana State University Medical Center Pancreatic Transplant Team. Luis A. Balart, M.D., is a graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine. He completed his training in gastroenterology at the Ochsner Clinic and in hepatology at the University of Southern California. Dr. Balart is the chief of gastroenterology at the LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans and is Medical Director of Liver Transplantation at Memorial Medical Center. He is actively involved in ongoing clinical trials in the treatment of chronic viral hepatitis and chronic liver disorders. He is the author of many publications in these areas.