"Jerry Pinkney has become one of my most favorite artists. There is so much depth and detail to his work, I have literally sat for hours just soaking in his beautiful illustrations. I cannot praise him enough nor can I recommend him highly enough. Come in and look at the book--I'm betting you'll leave the store with it, and perhaps at couple of his other works as well." ~Jackie--Jackie is the blue-ribbon book blogger at Tattered Cover & "the fastest read in the West"
This companion to the Caldecott Medal-winning The Lion & the Mouse is Jerry Pinkney's most stunning masterpiece yet. Even the slowest tortoise can defeat the quickest hare, and even the proudest hare can learn a timeless lesson from the most humble tortoise: Slow and steady wins the race! Here is a superbly rendered journey from starting line to finish that embodies the bravery, perseverance, and humility we can all find inside ourselves.
About the Author
Jerry Pinkney is one of the most heralded children's book illustrators of all time. He has the rare distinction of being the recipient of five Caldecott Honors and the winner of the 2010 Caldecott medal for The Lion and the Mouse, and has since created two companion picture books: The Tortoise & the Hare and The Grasshopper & the Ants. He has won the Coretta Scott King Award five times, the Coretta Scott King Honor four times, and has been nominated for the prestigious Hans Christian Anderson Award. He was also the first children's book illustrator elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He lives with his wife, author Gloria Jean Pinkney, in Croton-on-Hudson, New York. The artist invites you to visit his website at jerrypinkneystudio.com.
Praise for The Tortoise & the Hare…
A 2014 ALSC Notable Children's BookA 2013 Publishers Weekly Best Children's BookA 2013 Kirkus Reviews Best Children's BookA 2013 School Library Journal Best Children's BookA 2013 Booklist Editors' Choice BookA 2013 ABC Best Book for ChildrenA 2013 Parents' Choice Awards Gold Award WinnerA 2013 Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature Best Multicultural Children's BookA 2014 Children's Book Committee at Bank Street College Outstanding BookA 2014 Cooperative Children's Book Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison CCBC Choices BookAn Autumn 2013 Kids' Indie Next List Pick
* "[There is] a note of homespun vibrancy to Pinkney's elegant watercolor paintings....The tortoise may have won the race, but the real winner here is the listening and viewing audience."—Booklist, starred review
* "Pinkney's magnificently illustrated version of this famous fable gives the race the excitement of an Olympic event."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Will engross readers....A captivating winner--start to finish!"—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "The limited text, used sparingly but extremely effectively, reinforces the theme of the story--that the journey is as important as the ultimate goal.... This spectacular success is certain to become a classic in its own right."—School Library Journal, starred review
* "Pinkney has again created a tour de force."—Library Media Connection, starred review
* "The anthropomorphism blends seamlessly with the naturalistic detail.... A lively and imaginative take."—The Bulletin, starred review
"A worthy follow-up....The richly detailed illustrations are lively and humorous, but what makes this retelling particularly ingenious is Pinkney's use of the oft-quoted moral....slow and steady wins the race!"—The Horn Book