Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: A Musical Journey (Paperback)
Shipped to Tattered Cover in 3 to 7 days
A companion to the groundbreaking PBS documentary series, this volume is a unique and timeless celebration of the blues, from writers and artists as esteemed and revered as the music that moved them.
Included in this stunning collection are
- Essays by David Halberstam, Hilton Als, Suzan-Lori Parks, Elmore Leonard, Luc Sante, John Edgar Wideman, and many others
- Timeless archival pieces by writers such as Stanley Booth, Paul Oliver, and Mack McCormick
- Evocative color illustrations and rare vintage photography
- Illuminating and in-depth conversations and portraits of musicians, ranging from Robert Johnson and Bessie Smith to John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton
- Lyrics of legendary blues compositions
- Personal essays by the series directors Martin Scorsese, Charles Burnett, Richard Pearce, Wim Wenders, Marc Levin, Mike Figgis, and Clint Eastwood
- Excerpts from literary masters James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, Eudora Welty, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, and William Faulkner Tracing the art form's path from juke joints, house parties, and recording studios to musicians such as Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles, Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues proves, in the words of Willie Dixon, "The blues are the roots; every-thing else is the fruits."
About the Author
Peter Guralnick is the author of numerous seminal works of music and popular culture, including Searching for Roberth Johnson and a two-volume biography of Elvis Presley. He lives in West Newbury, Massachusetts.
Praise for Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: A Musical Journey…
“A must for any real blues fan.”
“A literary sampler as vibrant and original as the films and music that inspired it.”
-The Times (Shreveport, LA)
“Read the book … essential … for anyone who cares about American history, black culture and current music.”
“Breaking new ground.”
-Crain's New York Business
“[One of the] ‘Twelve Books of Christmas’ ... the perfect gift for the music lover.”